Best Whey Protein: Know Your Protein Part 2
Below is a typical listing of ingredients that crop up on your pot of whey protein. It will quickly become apparent to you that seeing ingredients such as whey isolate or hydrolysed whey is a huge bonus and the sight of ingredients like pea or rice protein should set alarm bells ringing and you should think again.
Types of Protein
- Whey Isolate: 90 – 95% protein content before being blended and mid to high 80% as a finished product.
- Pros: Rapid absorption, low carb, lactose-free
- Cons: Expensive
- Hydrolysed Whey: 90% protein content before being blended and low to mid 80% as a finished product.
- Pros: Highly rapid absorption, low carb, low lactose levels
- Cons: The most expensive protein money can buy
- Whey Concentrate: 80% protein content before being blended and high 60% to low 70% as a finished product.
- Pros: High absorption rate, very affordable
- Cons: Half the price of hydrolysed and isolate based on raw material, high lactose levels
- Egg Protein: Around 80% protein content, depending on whole egg or egg white.
- Pros: Highest BV (biological value) of all protein sources, often used as a sustained release in protein blends
- Cons: Cholesterol levels high in whole egg, allergy problems for some people
- Milk Protein: Weight for weight, milk protein contains around half the protein content in most whey products.
- Pros: Used in protein blends to help slow the protein uptake in sustained products e.g., protein matrix
- Cons: Can be used as a cheap filler if used in high dosages, contains half of the BV values of whey proteins
- Skimmed Milk: Similar to milk protein but much lower calorie and carb content.
- Pros: Lowe cost protein, lower-calorie and carb content than milk protein
- Cons: Cheap protein source and often used as a cheap filler, low BV values
- Casein: The most abundant protein found to be in milk protein.
- Pros: The best and most widely used protein for sustained release
- Cons: Lower BV values than whey, high lactose content:
- Soy: High protein content of 90%+ and is also a complete protein.
- Pros: High protein content with low carbs, value for money, often used as an emulsifier, vegan
- Cons: While it has many good properties, it is often used in high dosages to keep the build cost low
- Glutamine Peptide: Often mistaken for L-Glutamine, this protein source is derived from wheat.
- Pros: Very hard to think of any benefits when used in a protein blend
- Cons: Used as a cheap filler, allergy problems and stomach bloating
- Rice Protein: Often found in protein blends but it is a very poor source of protein as it is a second-class protein.
- Pros: I can’t think of a single benefit, possibly high in fibre and low-fat content
- Cons: Used as a cheap filler, high carb content
- Pea Protein: Again, often found in protein blends but is a very poor source of protein.
- Pros: I struggle to think of a single benefit, possible high vitamins, and high fibre, vegan friendly
- Cons: Used as a cheap filler, high carb content, 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein
It all started with Medi-Evil® Nutrition Excalibur® fat burners in August 2013. Medi-Evil® wanted to set new levels and raise the bar with sports nutrition. Mission accomplished, MediEvil Nutrition Excalibur® soon became the byword for weight loss and has many 5-star reviews. Ultra-high strength, vegetarian friendly, 100% active ingredients and they’ve even added a mood enhancer to take away the misery of dieting together with the added bonus of an 8 – 10% energy boost put them fairly and squarely at the top of their game.
Next came the world’s first intelligent pre-workout; Medi-Evil Warfare. Specially formulated to give you a pump on another level without the usual side effects. With innovative ingredients that you won’t find in another product of its kind such as Vinitrox you are guaranteed not to run out of steam halfway through your workout. They also added a combination of ingredients to aid both mental focus and recovery, and this and no crash again placed them way ahead of the competition.
We have all seen shakers with spare compartments but who has seen one with a rounded base? Protein will never stick to the bottom of a Medi-Evil® shaker, and by having a round base there is no need for a mixer grid or mixer ball either. All this and the added storage compartments made this product another winner.
Now Medi-Evil® Nutrition brings you a range of protein products all of which contain high-end ingredients such as whey isolate and hydrolysed whey. Whey Fury® contains a massive 75% (was 79%) protein with only 3.9g (was 2.7g) carbs per serving. The is not only a superior whey protein because of its expensive ingredients but because this its intelligent formulation. It was blended to give the user a constant drip-feed of proteins to help with your muscle recovery but it also contains essential digestive enzymes to help the absorption of the nutrients. Unlike many whey proteins on the market medi-evil nutrition protein products are not only vegetarian and vegan friendly but they are halal-friendly just like our Excalibur fat burners that use gelatin-free capsules.
When buying whey protein it will quickly become apparent to you that by seeing ingredients such as whey isolate or hydrolysed whey is a huge bonus and the sight of ingredients like milk, pea, or rice protein should set alarm bells ringing and you should think again before buying based on its cheap price, its cheap for a good reason.
Unlike many weight gaining products that use simple carbs and milk protein, their Colossus mass gainer has a combination of fast and slow absorbing proteins namely, concentrate, isolate, hydrolysed whey, milk, and egg albumin. It also contains fine rolled oats and a Multi-Phase Carbohydrate Matrix with ingredients that include Sweet Potato, Quinoa for both fast and sustained-release energy. Together with GMS (a super-hydrating agent) and of course, all of the medi-evil nutrition protein products contain Trigesese®, their unique blend of digestion enzymes.
These protein products had their launch delayed by several months until the formulas were perfected, and the flavouring system was spot on. Many people say that they have never tasted anything like it and the strawberry actually tastes and smells like freshly picked strawberries! This ultra-premium brand has triumphed yet again with this range extension and it makes you realise that not all sports nutrition is created equal.